About

Monday 8 December 2014

Beat the Chill- Everyday Winter Favourites (Non-Beauty)



Aside from Christmas, my favourite thing about winter is coming in from the cold into the cosiness of a warm fire and a cup of tea. Unlike most people I know, I’m one of those who much prefers the freezing cold to the searing heat. Maybe this is because I’m pretty much consistently cold anyway, and as a result I usually end up spending the majority of winter under several jumpers, or permanently attached to a blanket. Here are some of my non-beauty favourites to keep cosy, pre and post-festive season-



Candles
I love candles all year around, but there’s something about lighting a couple of candles on a cold winters night that feels oh so cosy. I tend to stick to Yankee because of the variety and strength of all their scented candles, and typically warming smells like Vanilla and Coconut are my all-time favourites. Of course this time of year in particular Yankee does an amazing Christmas range, but I usually prefer to buy in store than online. After all, how am I supposed to guess what ‘Christmas Eve’ smells like?

Fairy Lights
Fairy lights are another obvious choice when trying to create that cosy festive feeling. I’m not one for ceiling lights generally, a bit stark in my opinion and so I often forego them and drape fairy lights around my window frame and fireplace to stimulate a warm glow. This year I picked up a string of 40 lights from Primark for £2.50, absolute bargain

Tea
Again, I drink tea all year around, but come October I may as well have a bucket of it to carry with me. It works pretty well as a winter warmer, and since I don’t have too much of a sweet tooth I often prefer it too hot chocolate. I was recently gifted ‘Peanut Hottie’, apparently a mix between peanut butter and hot chocolate, so I shall be giving that a try!

Festive films
I’m pretty strict with myself regarding festive films. I try to refrain from breaking out the heart-warming Christmas classic until at least the 1st of December, and even then I try to pace myself in case they’re played on TV beforehand (sad but true). My favourite movies, in no particular order, are as follows-
• Home Alone, 1 & 2
• Miracle on 34th Street, 1994
• Elf
• Love Actually
• The Holiday

Beanie Hats
By contrast, definitely not an item I’m strict about. I wear beanies all year round, but it can be difficult pull them off during an August heatwave. September onwards is beanie season, and I’ll be the first to admit that I’ll never have enough of this miracle invention. Think about it- it fixes bad hair days, keeps your head toasty and makes you look great in that effortless ‘I just rolled out of bed and put this hat on but still look amazing’, kind of way.

Fleece Bedding
This is a new one for me. I never usually purchase what I would term as ‘festive bedding’ (I know, just here me out), but after being stuck in an endless YouTube cycle of Christmas décor inspiration one afternoon, I popped off to Primark once more to check out their selection. Long story short- I should never be allowed in any home ware section. Forget the clothes, I was fawning over Christmas candles, Christmas aprons, Christmas wreaths…and pretty much anything glittery. I managed to restrain myself enough to just pick out some festive bedding, and for a price of £12, I absolutely love it. That is, if you can love bedding. Its fleece like texture keeps me warm on the cold winter nights, and its snowflake, fairisle print coupled with the fairy lights transforms my bedroom into as close to a winter wonderland as one can get. If you’re looking for budget ways to transform your room, look no further than Primark!

No comments:

Post a Comment