About

Friday 5 December 2014

Beat the Chill- Everyday Winter Favourites (Beauty)











December has always been my favourite month. Perhaps, unsurprisingly, this is because my birthday is right in the middle and Christmas shortly follows. However, Winter's harsh conditions can be a little wearing, and so here I’ve listed my favourite beauty products to use when you need them most. I’ve also got some non-beauty favourites, so look out for those shortly!

Aveda Botanical Kinetics, Intense Hydrating Soft Crème
This is a great moisturiser if you want something suitable for everyday use. It’s super hydrating but not too heavy, and works with all skin types. I often have trouble finding an everyday moisturiser for my sensitive /combination skin, but this one works a treat. I’ve had no allergic reaction (which I often get with certain perfumed cleansers and moisturisers), and after using this product for over a month I’ve yet to have any serious ‘oh my god what is this boulder that has appeared on my face’ breakouts. In keeping with Aveda’s products, this moisturiser is made up of plant extracts (most of which I can’t pronounce), and the smell you get from it is a warming, menthol type aroma. If this was summer I’d probably see that as a turn off and favour something more floral or light, but there’s something about the cold, increasingly dark nights that makes menthol smells seem very comforting to me, so I’d count that as a bonus.


Elemis Hydra-Boost Day Cream
I’d never actually tried this product before until I got it free with a copy of InStyle magazine. To be honest I hardly ever try the beauty products that come as freebies, but this being Elemis I thought I would give it a go. I’ve tested a lot of moisturisers in my time (I’m a bit of a skincare addict), and I’m inclined to say that this is one of the best I’ve used. It’s one of the only moisturisers thus far that has been able to tackle the stubborn dry patch I get under my chin, as well as proving to be a great base for make-up. I usually favour a lighter moisturiser over an ultra- hydrating one, thinking that my normal/oily skin will break out at the mere sight, but I’ll definitely be purchasing this again! It’s a common misconception that oily skin doesn’t need moisturising, but I think my skin may have been dehydrated from the harsh winter conditions, office heating etc. So if you have skin like me, don’t be put off! I didn’t apply this everyday, but I saw a significant improvement in my complexion and I definitely think this was one of the reasons why.


The Body Shop, Hemp Hand Protector
I’m sure I’m not the only one whose hands suffer at the first sight of winter. Despite wearing gloves (or in my case mittens, who can resist mittens), the cold air just seems to cause instant dryness. When it comes to hands I’ve come to the conclusion that prevention is better than cure. It’s so much easier to deter the dryness than it is to remedy it. The Body Shop’s Hemp Hand Protector has been my favourite for a number of years. I’m currently rolling the tube down in a desperate attempt to get the most out, like a toothpaste tube. I can’t really complain though, it’s lasted me a year which is more than I can say for most of beauty products I use . It’s not a light consistency- but who wants light when you’re battling through the bitter cold? This product instantly moisturises my hands without making them feel greasy, though I’d recommend applying before bed to get the most effective use out of it.


John Frieda Sheer Blonde Everlasting Blonde Deep Conditioner
Despite being borderline obsessed with the condition of my tresses, I rarely have the patience for hair masks. Washing my hair is enough of a debacle without the added twenty minute hair mask application, and as a result I rarely use them (Honourable mention does go to Lush’s Marilyn Hair Mask however, I love that stuff). So to make sure my hair stays relatively free of split ends, I use a deep conditioner instead. My current favourites are the Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner, and the John Frieda Sheer Blonde Everlasting blonde Deep Conditioner. Both can be used in the shower and both leave my hair feeling as soft as silk when I step out. I’ve just had highlights put through my dark blonde hair and so the Everlasting Blonde helps to keep the colour looking fresh whilst providing moisture. I’m a big lover of Aussie products, and the 3 minute Miracle is great for protecting and nourishing hair when the harsh winter winds leave it a little frazzled. My hair is now in its best condition in years despite highlights and regular straightening!


Aurelia Cell Revitalise Rose Mask
Aurelia is definitely my favourite skincare discovery of 2014. For everyday purposes I use their Miracle Cleanser, which is great for removing makeup gently as well as moisturising the skin. I’m also inclined to say that it’s evened out my skin tone but this could be down to other factors. The Aurelia Cell Revitalise Rose Mask is a product I use when I’m in need of a pampering session or a skin saviour. The minute I see a breakout, I pop this mask on and it instantly soothes and rebalances my complexion. It’s a light consistency, barely heavier than a moisturiser, and like all Aurelia products, it's suitable for sensitive skin. It’s rich in Eucalyptus and avocado oil, once again giving it that warming feeling, and it brightens the skin to ensure a glowing complexion when you’re feeling somewhat lacklustre. Despite loving the product however, I only use it a few times a month, as it comes with a rather hefty price tag of £65!


Sally Hansen’s Miracle Gel Collection in Game of Chromes
A little out of place perhaps, but nail polish still counts as a beauty product right? I was lucky enough to attend a press event for Sally Hansen’s new Miracle Gel Collection recently, and instantly fell in love with the shade Game of Chromes. Its rich gold colour gives such even and complete coverage that you barely need two coats and the glittering metallic shade is perfect for the festive season. I’ve been wearing it either over all my nails, or on one finger with Sally Hansen’s Birthday Suit nude shade or Lancôme’s deep red. Look out for the collection early next year!

If you want to check out my recommendations for Winter skin saviours, follow the link- http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/547390/the-smart-girls-guide-to-winter-skin.html

Non- beauty Winter favourites coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment