About

Thursday 18 December 2014

Feeling 22



I believe Taylor Swift had it right when she claimed that 22 was 'miserable and magical'.
I turned 22 earlier this week, and I can honestly say it's the first time I haven't felt any emotion centered around my birthday. Not excitement, not dread, not happiness- it's been very bazaar. This could be due to the turbulent mental health issues I've been experiencing in the last few months (a combination of anxiety and depression has had me feeling a little low at times)- but could it also mean that I'm, dare I say it- 'growing up'? Is this the dawning of unexciting, mundane birthdays where gifts such as jewellery and clothes gradually yet replaced with toasters and tea towels? Since the age of 18 each birthday has represented a new chapter in my life. At 18 I officially became an adult in the UK, at 19 I was a student at university in the big city, at 20 I was no longer a teenager, and at 21 I was old enough to be considered an adult around the world. But 22 feels different. I find myself in somewhat of a limbo- no longer a student but a graduate, trying to make my mark in the real world. My friendships are separated my motorways, borders and oceans, my degree is over yet my career hasn't even begun, and in many ways I'm living life as I did when I was a teenager, despite now being in my twenties.

It's certainly odd to comprehend. I think in situations such as these (one may even call it a quarter life crisis), it's important to look back on what you have achieved. Because my birthday is so close to the end of the year I often find myself reflecting on what I've done, and what I hope to do by the time the next birthday rolls around. Next year I'll be 23, and I hope to have put my life back together, but I did achieve a fair amount this year and visited some amazing places. I graduated from university, formed new friendships, and travelled to the other side of the world. Despite 21's events however, I'm hoping 22, although not off to the best start, will be the most fruitful year yet.

22, would you kindly bring me...

- A start to the career I've always dreamed of having
- New friendships and a rekindling of old ones
- A place to live that I can call my own
- A return to the big smoke (that's London by the way)

Best wishes, a newly 22 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment